Friday, March 7, 2008

A Bunch of Writing about Writing

As a reader, I tend to shy away from reading actual fiction novels. Every once in a while I'll find a novel that looks really fascinating, but usually I tend to pick up nonfiction books about random topics I'm interested in. I have a stack of books by my bed right now, waiting to be read, but I don't manage more than a few pages per night. I read Time magazine and Scientific American when I get around to it, too.

As far as writing, I tend to avoid all-out narrative stories, since I know I won't have the patience to finish one. When I get the urge to just sit down and write something, it usually comes out as either a poem or a generic philosophical rant. Sometimes I'll imagine up a world (fantasy, sci-fi, that kind of thing) and just write whatever comes into my head about it. If I have thoughts that bottle up in my head over a long period of time, I might link them together into a story of some kind, but as I said, I never finish them. I only write things on my own if I haven't been assigned any writing for school, which means I write about the same amount whether or not I'm in school.

1 comment:

Stef said...

I definitely agree that nonfiction books are awesome. I read a book awhile back called E=mc^2, and it describes the history of each part of the equation. The history of the equals sign was actually fascinating.